Qipao is an elegant and traditional dress for Chinese women, and now it is also popular in Western culture. It is very easy to make a Qipao at home on your sewing machine.
Choose dress pattern and fabric
- Choose a Qipao dress pattern with two pieces to create the stand-up collar, two pieces for the front and two pieces for the back.
- Purchase fabric for Qipao. Silk is best choice for the most authentic dress.
- Cut the pattern out of the fabric
- Trace the pattern on your fabric with chalk, and cut them.
- Preheat the iron for about five minutes before iron your fabric.
- Place your fabric on the ironing board, wrong-side up, and place a damp press cloth on top of that. Iron it with a low-setting. Remove the fabric from the ironing board before it cool completely.
Put the two front pieces on the table, wrong side up. Fix the position of the collar. Sew the pieces together, starting from the collar near the front of the clothes until you reach the hem.
Sew a zipper
Sew the top half of the two back pieces onto a zipper. Pin the bottom half of the back two pieces together, and sew it down to the hem.
- Set sewing machine to “Serge”.
- Start sewing the stitch from the top of the arm hole, and down to the hem along each side of the front of the dress.
- Repeat this step to sew the back of the dress.