It is difficult to identify one traditional “Chinese” dress for China has a history of thousands of years and has 56 ethnic groups. But, most foreigners will firstly think of Qipao when it comes to Chinese traditional dress. A cheongsam is an elegant yet simple silk dress that features a high neckline fastened with decorative clasps. No doubt, you may have seen a cheongsam worn by a waitress at the Beijing Olympics.
- Find a basic pattern.
- Buy fabric, coordinating thread and braided closures.
- Check everything you need like buttons, zippers, bias tape.
- Cut pattern from the closed paper according to the pattern instructions.
- Pin the pattern pieces to the fabric.
- Carefully cut fabric along the pattern lines.
- Pin pieces of fabric together as instructed.
- Thread the machine and bobbin with thread matching your fabric.
- Stitch fabric together following the pattern directions with small stitches.
- Put the biased tape on the edge of the fixed fabric.
- Sew the bias tape to the edge of the dress.
- Stitch a hem on the bottom of the dress.
- Use needle and thread to sew the braided closures to the dress, and stich their three loops, on both pieces.